Sunday, August 8, 2010

It's just not me! - Part 1

Today we did Speaking during MUET. And I sucked.


=(

I am a natural born talker people say. And it is very true. I do not have much problems with articulation and I know my vocab is proficient enough. But the whole "concept" of speaking on a topic for 2 minutes scares the crap out of me.

I think it has to do with the preparation time. We are only allowed 2 minutes to prepare on a certain topic and we have to speak 2 minutes on the topic we prepare. We are graded on task fulfillment, articulation and how we put the information forward.

So, every time when we are about to begin, my mind will just tell me that I have 2 minutes to prepare the topic and spontaneous as I am, I get really really nervous and end up stuttering. I use words like "umm" and "aah" and sometimes even "kinda" and "sorta". Haha.

Well, today I sucked the worst mainly because of the topic.

It was actually a very easy topic, compared to the last time (which was why national landmarks are the greatest achievements since independence.)

"You and your friends are discussing some of the things man can't live without."

Easy right?

Relatively so. But here is the twist. You are put in a group of 4. Candidates A,B,C and D. You are given the same issue but different task. And Candidate D usually gets the hardest task. Don't ask me why, it's the way it is!

And guess who is candidate D in my group?

Exactly. Yours truly.

I feel honoured that my teacher registered me as Candidate D because she knows that I can handle the task. But today's one was just ridiculous.

While Candidates A,B and C spoke about family, friends and health, I got wealth.

WEALTH! Can you believe it? The one thing I oppose and feel that man CAN live without is wealth. And there I was sitting there feeling like MPM (Majlis Periksaan Malaysia) has something against me!

The whole point is la, because of the current mindset that I have, I just couldn't put myself in that position to come up with points that wealth is so important that we can't live without it.

Am I just being uptight or does it have something to do with my personality?

Signing off,
MarcusDS

2 opinion(s):

Elaine said...

Didi.. Don't worry. :) Che had to debate in Thinking Skills Class about how Brain drain in Malaysia is good and you know how much i totally oppose that but i had to stand up for it. guess wht?i sucked too!haha.. no worries man. cause it's a topic we don agree or are passionate about. It is hard for one to speak well about something they don reli agree with.=)cheers!^^

stephanie j. said...

wow.. i can imagine how hard that can be.. THAT IS REAL TOUGH BROTHER! i understand what u must have felt. well, let Upper Management take care of it now. you've done all u can..
God bless.