Sunday, January 24, 2010

My trip to the Land of the Hornbill (Part1)..

Hallo readers ! (if you're out there.)


I'm home. Aah. What a relief! It is so nice to be home! Not to say my hosts (plural) were not hospitable, but it is always far better to be at home, kan?

To be able to sleep in your own beds; bathe in your own bathroom and at your own pace. To be able to brush your teeth with your own toothpaste, wash your butt with your own..err..lets not go there. XD (i meant water spray-er thingy if you're wondering.)

You get my point!

But the trip was not a total lost. It was refreshing and frankly, a blessing. I got to stay with a few influential people and met some cute kids. Here is a breakdown of the whole trip. Bear with me k?

Tuesday
We left the house at around 5.40am and arrived at the airport at 6.30am. After checking in, we had breakfast. In my opinion, eating at an airport restaurant is totally unnecessary unless you have been delayed (or forgot to prepare a meal.) McD in Penang airport is EXPENSIVE!

I had the kiddy's meal naturally.

This was our airplane.

My mum and I.

This is the Rejang River, the longest river in Malaysia. (350miles long.)

My mum looking at her homeland.

We reached KL and after an hour or so of waiting, we boarded the flight to Sibu.

We arrived in Sibu and went to my grandmum's place. My mom and her sisters rotate a schedule and drop in regularly to see my grandmum. My grandmum has gone completely blind due to a medication she was taking to cure another ailment. None of my relatives realized, till she started calling for people to switch on the light. It is quite saddening actually, imagine not being able to see anything at all. Plus, she has Alzheimers, so she forgets easily and is always in need of company.

The first day in Sibu was spent sleeping and watching Christian TV on my grandmum's satellite TV. (which is positioned to receive Indonesian channels which the maid watches all day long!)

Went shopping nearby with my mum in the night. The store had some cool tees with funny captions. Here are some of the things in the store that caught my eye.

I would have bought this tee, except the spelling was wrong. =(

I almost got this tee, but my mum didn't want me wearing senseless tees. Haha

Wow. I guess "Sue me!" is one thing a thief can't say to this shop owner!

Haha. This one really cracked me up. Not just because it is nonsensical to even think of "testing" on underwear (unless you're a girl and you're at Victoria's Secret!hah), but because they don't even have a toilet that you can use to do your Number 1. Where would you "test" an underwear?

Joe Den, I thought of you when I saw this. This is a handmade lolipop. It costs RM30++. I'm just wondering how long would it take you to finish it if I had bought it for you. XD

Mariel called and updated me on what was happening at her NS. She was and is leading the CF there and they have 20 people and growing.

Wednesday
Walked to my uncle's place just down the street in the afternoon and met my nephew. My cousin married a Malay, but the son looks chinese. His name is Tamizi. He was simply adorable.

He was racing around the house with that green teddy (it's a teddy bear) in his mouth. Look at those big Chinese eyes!! Guess he got more genes from his dad than his mum.

Thursday
Watched Christian TV and went to my mum's friends place for dinner. She has 2 cute grand-nephew-niece-kids. Jeffrey and Caroline. They were really fascinated by me and did not believe that I am partially Indian. They played with my leg hair and called me Esau. Haha. I played organ with them and read to Caroline before we left. They are really great kids!

This is Jeffrey. He got caught up playing with my handphone that his grandaunt scolded him(and I think me too,for lending him my handphone.)

This is Caroline. She was pulling my leg hairs the whole time. She was the one who said that I was like Esau. Her grandaunt has been reading them bible stories everynight, so both of the kids know quite a lot for their age!

Friday
Had breakfast with another family friend. Had Kampua Mee (Sarawak's wantan mee.)

After we ate,we went to the bus terminal to leave for Miri. My mum was unaware that bus prices are all the same, so she got duped by a man at the counter and bought 2 tickets for a very rickety bus. AND I MEAN RICKETY! The air-con was leaking, the chairs had holes, the seats could not recline and everything shook. Literally. The highways in Sarawak are very very bad. The work done is little and unfinished - unfulfilled promises by you-know-who. The roads were bumpy and full of holes. My mum got little sleep, as for me, I sleep like a pig through thunderstorms. Hazel once queried whether I could sleep through a tornado. Haha.

Saw this at Bintulu bus terminal. Notice the MDS (my initials! XD)

Got to Miri at about 6pm in the evening. The trip was 8 and a half hours. Like travelling to Kluang. Haha. Had dinner, and watched some TV.

Saturday
Got up at 11am. Watched LOTR 2 and a few more shows on Satellite TV at my host's house. Shared about MYPG at an SIB Youth Meeting at night. Went out for supper at Miri's town centre where I sampled their famous Clam Char Koay Teow. Sedap juga.

Sunday
Mariel called me up at 6.30am. Woke me up actually. But it was great to hear her update on what was happening in NS. And I believe it was as refreshing for her as it was for me to chat with a believer who has the same passion.

Attended a Chinese Service at SIB Hope. It was my 1st experience at a Chinese service. Here at my church we have a Hokkien group. It was a refreshing experience.

This is the pastor of SIB Hope, Miri. Pastor Betty. She spoke on 2Tim2:22 - Being vessels that are set apart for honourable use. A timely message for the Church as we rise up and take our place to impact the society.

Continued with the English service. After that we went out for makan with my mum's dentist friend at a place called Taiwan.

I had Yam Pork Rib Noodles and

Pearl Milk Tea.

Met the CUTEST 5year old. His name is Moses. He was unfriendly and sulky at 1st because someone had stepped on him during Sunday School in the morning. But after the meal, I started playing with him.

I really miss him. He was so cute. He would drop his cars on the floor and I would pick them up. I must have picked his toy cars up a few hundred times. He was laughing away and when I leaned down to pick his cars, he would lie on my back, not allowing me to get up.

He refused to have his photo taken in the 1st place. The cheeky little fellow kept avoiding the camera lens. But after I had played with him, I guess he trusted me enough to let me take his photo.

Isn't he the cutest? This picture is of his papa and him.



Spent the rest of the day just lazing around, which I later regretted as I had broken my promise of praying from 3pm-5pm with the Alor Setar LYPG. =(

Monday
Monday was spent blogging as well as cooking. I sliced my left thumb while cutting open small buns that the Foo Chow people call Kom Piang(Empty Biscuits).

The wound on my thumb was one inch long and at least 1cm deep.
Day 1. The first night after I had sliced my thumb

Day 2.

Day 3.
Praise the Lord, it has healed now! =)

Before dinner, we visited my uncle in Miri. My mum and her nieces - Yu Jing, Yu Xuan and Yu Tian

This is me and my cute little cousin Yu Tian. Look at her afro dude!


Had dinner with uncle Bob (the dentist friend) again this time at Mr. Ho's Fine Foods. He did not bring his son Moses this time and I was a bit sad. =( His daughter who works in a shipping yard was present, and I got to hear a lot concerning the spiritual state of Sarawak.

Let me clarify! I wasn't snapping her photo unaware. The silver piece in the picture is a spoon. Can you see me inside the spoon? =)

Dr. Bob and Pastor Michael Lee. (Ps Michael is Ps Betty's husband.)

Had glazed BBQ Ribs, Roast Chicken
4 Different kinds of German Sausage with Sauerkrat and

Pumpkin soup.

Mama Mia, it was a meal to remember! Really delicious! God willing, I shall take my future bethrothed there. XD

Tuesday
We were smarter this time and bought tickets from a trustworthy company with the help of our hosts (Pastor Michael and Pastor Betty). It was a longer journey as it was 9 hours.

My mum and I on the bus.

My beautiful mum!


We stopped at Niah Caves Resthouse at the foot of Gua Niah and here are some photos of the animals at a mini zoo at that resthouse.

Looks like a pig. Haha

An Eel. Eels are blind and depend on hearing. By the way, you can see my reflection in the glass. Haha

Hard skinned gecko (I think.)

This turtle has been in the same position for so long, there is moss and fungus on its back. Eew. Talk about a standstill!
Thank you for pointing that out, Captain Obvious! Haha. I got a lot of stares from people w


TO BE CONTINUED...




1 opinion(s):

Joe Den said...

haha you'd b surprised hw fast it would take for me to finish tht lollipop!






















no seriously~